Key Insights From:
Admirable Evasions: How Psychology Undermines Morality
- It’s not evident that psychology has made the world a better place.
- Freud’s insights were neither brilliant nor original.
- The therapy model needs weakness and vulnerability like a predator needs prey.
- Parity laws have encouraged our culture to talk about psychological disturbance as disease.
- Culture’s “who are you to judge?” convention is driven more by self-preservation than beneficence.
- Self-esteem and self-love are threads that unite the various schools of psychology—to detrimental effect.