11 Minute Read Audio Available
- Tara’s survivalist Mormon family preserved unity and tradition at the cost of almost everything.
- Tara found out what college was when she was 11, and her life would never be the same.
- Tara entered university wondering what the Holocaust was and asserting Rosa Parks deserved to be arrested for stealing someone’s seat.
- So deep was the brainwashing and misplaced sense of loyalty, that Tara second-guessed the severity of her brother’s abuse well into her twenties.
- Estrangement from a rigid, cloistered family was disorienting and difficult, but Tara came out on the other side with unexpected wins.