Key Insights From:
The Brothers Bulger: How They Terrorized and Corrupted Boston for a Quarter Century
By Howie Carr
Audio Available | 14 Minute Read
- Billy and Whitey were very different in temperaments, but their upbringing in poor Irish Catholic South Boston left its marks on each.
- The Irish Gang Wars in the 1960s paved the way for Whitey’s swift rise to underworld prominence.
- Whitey used the Winter Hill Gang and the FBI to knock out rivals while staying out of jail.
- Billy’s brand of politics was petty, nepotistic, and effective.
- When the FBI tried to cut ties with Whitey, the agents on mob payroll did whatever they could to keep the connection going.
- Bulger influence waned after decades of poisoning their hometown, but organized crime had done long-term damage to the FBI in Boston.