Key Insights From:
Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity
- Amidst putrid squalor, meager wages, and political vulnerability, an undercurrent of hope pervades Mumbai’s Annawadi slum.
- There’s a scavenger class in India with an incredibly refined understanding of plastics and metals.
- To raise and fend for yourself and your little sister since you were six makes you a master of survival.
- In the slum, a woman cheating on her husband is a scandal—a crippled woman cheating on her husband is a joke.
- Hell hath no fury like a woman willing to burn herself to death in an attempt to frame her rivals for her death.
- Annawadi’s undercitizens have difficulty finding justice with the police, the officials, or in the courts—but sometimes things pan out.
- Annawadi slums were destroyed to make room for airport expansion and commerce, but some of the residents still came out on top.