10 Minute Read Audio Available
Key Insights From:
Galileo's Middle Finger: Heretics, Activists, and One Scholar's Search for Justice
By Alice Dreger
- Near Galileo’s tomb in Florence is a shrine exhibiting Galileo’s middle finger.
- Cases of hermaphrodites—now called “intersexuals”—have been documented for centuries—and systematically disambiguated by doctors.
- Intersexual births are far more common than most people realize.
- Sometimes the people most passionate about equality forget that people with opposing views are equals, too.
- Bailey exemplified the Galileo ideal by putting pursuit of truth before political correctness.
- Academic freedom is essential and fragile in American universities.