11 Minute Read Audio Available
Key Insights From:
How Should We Then Live?: The Rise and Decline of Western Thought and Culture
- Our assumptions about life shape the kind of life we will have, so align your assumptions with reality as much as you can.
- Apathy ruined Rome well before the barbarians came knocking.
- There was a period of cultural reawakening in the Middle Ages, but humanity got overly optimistic in the Renaissance.
- The battle between early modern scientists and the church did not actually lie between science and Scriptural authority.
- The basic assumptions guiding a revolution will determine its shape and the government established after.
- A culture that desires personal peace and affluence above all else is vulnerable to authoritarianism and despair.