- Ayaan grew up memorizing her lineage, learning about nomadic life from her grandmother, and observing rules to preserve family honor.
- Ayaan’s grandmother went to extreme lengths to guard her granddaughter’s purity.
- Saudi Arabia boasts a purer expression of Islam, which proved an adjustment for Ayaan’s family.
- Unlike many Somali girls, Ayaan had a chance to flee her arranged marriage—and she took it.
- Despite her attempts to stay hidden from family and clan, the husband she fled found her in Holland.
- 9/11 forced a crisis of faith that led to Ayaan’s rejection of Islam and disbelief in God.
- Ayaan’s creation of a provocative film put a country in an uproar, her life in jeopardy, and broke her ties to her home and citizenship.