Key Insights From:
The Road to Character
By David Brooks
- Modern culture is more preoccupied with résumé virtues than eulogy virtues.
- The quality of humility is taking a beating in an increasingly narcissistic, performance-oriented society.
- The road to character is a U-Curve: people of integrity go down before they go up.
- The belief that we have the power to change ourselves can be the biggest obstacle to change.
- NFL legends Unitas and Namath are emblematic of the cultural change from self-effacement to self-aggrandizement.
- The conventional interpretation of moral decline after the 1950s does not square with all the facts.
- The road to character is approached from different places, but the fruit is recognizable anywhere.