9 Minute Read Audio Available
Key Insights From:
The Varieties of Religious Experience: A Study in Human Nature
- This work deals not with religious institutions but the private experience of religion.
- Finding a single, encompassing definition of religion is impossible and limiting.
- Validity of a mental state is not determined by its origin but by its fruit.
- Direct religious experience anchors beliefs far more securely than logic does.
- Happiness is man’s chief concern.
- Mystical states of consciousness lie at the root of personal religious experience.
- Man’s religions don’t need to be identical.