Key Insights From:
The WEIRDest People in the World: How the West Became Psychologically Peculiar and Particularly Prosperous
- There’s never been a cultural psychology as peculiar as WEIRD culture.
- Intentions and disposition carry much more weight in WEIRD morality than in other cultures.
- Outside WEIRD societies, identity statements are tied to relationships.
- Preferring cash over checks, strength of mafia presence, and frequency of blood donations have been predicted by a society’s rates of cousin marriage.
- WEIRD psychology would never have been possible without the Western Church weakening kinship bonds.
- Centuries into the future, all of the world’s current psychologies will seem “weird” in the eyes of posterity.