Key Insights From:
Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents: How to Heal from Distant, Rejecting, or Self-Involved Parents
- The core of a parent’s emotional immaturity is a focus on the self, and the lack of awareness for their own child’s need for emotional connection.
- Identifying how emotionally unhealthy parents act can reveal why your parents can’t (or couldn’t) provide the needed emotional connection.
- Children of emotionally unavailable parents divide into two types: internalizers and externalizers.
- Neglected children often come up with healing fantasies and roles they must play in order to gain a parent’s acceptance.
- Knowing and accepting what you need and really feel is key to breaking unhealthy emotional patterns.
- Emotional freedom from unhealthy parents requires a new kind of relationship.
- Identifying key traits of emotionally mature people will enrich your relationships and help you develop deeper connections.