9 Minute Read Audio Available
- If a man wanted to stay alive in Auschwitz, he shaved regularly.
- Harrowing conditions reveal just how adaptive humans are.
- Under camp conditions, food became the preoccupation of conversation, imagination, and dreams.
- Politics and religion featured prominently in discussions among prisoners.
- The simple and the mundane took on new significance for prisoners.
- Art and humor kept prisoners’ spirits from being utterly crushed.
- Regardless of one’s circumstances, there is always a choice.
- Liberation was not the immediately joyous experience that the prisoners anticipated.