13 Minute Read Audio Available
Key Insights From:
Rule Makers, Rule Breakers: How Tight and Loose Cultures Wire Our World
- Culture matters, but that’s not helpful information until we understand why it matters.
- We swim through (and rely on) social norms like fish swim through water.
- The patterns of loose and tight cultures persist across the globe and history.
- Both tight and loose cultures carry their own assets and liabilities.
- Cultures tighten and loosen according to the level of historical and ecological threat.
- Culture isn’t destiny: just as culture shapes a group, so the group can shape its culture.
- Nations are loosening rigid social norms regarding family size to deal with overpopulation concerns.