- For most of our history, there were few compounds as precious as salt.
- For millennia, people of disparate cultures have assigned remarkably similar religious and sexual significance to salt.
- So central was salt to ancient Chinese politics that the character for “salt” contains the symbols for brine and government official.
- During the Middle Ages, innovations in salt production saved parts of Europe from starvation.
- Gandhi’s Salt March was one of his most successful protests because India’s rich and poor alike were dependent on salt.