Key Insights From:
Why Won't You Apologize?: Healing Big Betrayals and Everyday Hurts
- Sometimes what we think is an apology is not an apology at all.
- Apologies that confuse, crowd, or intrude on the injured party will bring more harm than repair.
- Over-apologizing is also a problem, and it’s most prevalent among women.
- Cultural messaging and family of origin impact our willingness or unwillingness to apologize.
- The more egregious the offense, the less likely the apology.
- Accept your child’s apology without lecturing and offer simple sincere apologies when you make a mistake.