Key Insights From:
Stuff Matters: Exploring the Marvelous Materials That Shape Our Man-Made World
- A steel razor is comprised of billions of opaque, microscopic crystals that get chipped away with every collision with hair.
- Plastic is one of the most maligned and misrepresented materials on the planet.
- Despite technological developments, paper isn’t going anywhere.
- Half of what humans create is made of concrete, and it now comes in self-healing varieties.
- Chocolate is as close as materials science comes to poetry.
- A German alchemist’s discovery of porcelain saved him from execution and broke up China’s monopoly.